Saturday, November 21, 2009

Holiday Traditions

As the holidays are quickly approaching I have been thinking about wanting to start holiday traditions with Luke and Madison. I would love to start something this year and continue each year. So, what are your holiday traditions?? It can be for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or both! I would love to get some ideas and steal them (J/K) :) I have heard of giving and ornament each year, new pajamas on Christmas Eve, baking Jesus a cake, opening one gift Christmas Eve, and for Thanksgiving saying one thing you are thankful for at the Thanksgiving dinner.

Add a comment below (or you can just email me tigerfaith03@yahoo.com) and tell me what your traditions are! Thank you ahead of time for sharing! It's always fun to see who replies...who knows...you may get some new ideas!

3 comments:

  1. We do the same things you mentioned... pj's to open on Christmas Eve and after we get into them we sit by the fire with hot cocoa and read the story of Jesus's birth from the Bible and then we read T'was The Night Before Christmas. Each child also receives an ornamnet every year. And then my two favorites... we do The 12 days of Christmas and I wrap up 12 Christmas books and put them under the tree~ each with a number from 1 -12. Whatever day of Christmas it is, we open that book and read it before bed. My girls LOVE this. We always do an anonymous service type thing at Christmas time. We have left money and or gift cards on the doorstep of a family in need. We have bought toys and donated them, visited a nursing home and sang Christmas carols, etc. The list of possibilities is endless and of course is the best feeling doing something for someone else! Besides, what better of a thing to teach a child then to serve others?!
    My mom and sister sadi they saw you and your sweet babies at the mall yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barret and I started a tradition last year of having a Christmas breakfast for just our family...although it may be awhile before Caleb can participate!! Eggs Benedict is not on his menu right now!
    Also, my dad's side of the family started this a couple years ago and I'd like to continue it. Instead of exchanging gifts, we donate something to Samartin's purse in honor of whoever's name we got. They actually have a catalog and have many different things you can give towards: milk, clothing & shoes, blankets & bedding, bibles & christian lit., emergency med, and so much more. I'd like to incorporate it into our immediate family somehow. It's so good to teach them to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our family we watch one Christmas movie a night all the way up to Christmas day. We also do a gingerbread house. Dad and I go and get a real Christmas tree and I decorate it with him. We also eat pancakes Christmas morning before we open presents. One thing I like is reading the story of Jesus' birth on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning....I hope this helps! Kristine

    ReplyDelete