Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Days Before Our Lives Changed

On Wednesday, March 24th I went on bed rest. I remember that day so well because my appointment was after school and I just thought they were going to tell me to keep taking it easy. I knew my blood pressure was up and I knew my ankles were starting to swell but I still thought I could make it a few more weeks at school until Spring Break. I remember the doctor looking at me and saying, "Well, I think you are done." I wasn't sure what he meant at first. I asked him if I could work until Friday. He said no. I asked him if I could go in tomorrow. He said no. I went into panic and a feeling of deep sadness because my kids at school had no warning. I couldn't just leave them. I wasn't ready to leave teaching (The tears are flowing as I type this!). I didn't have all of the materials ready and I just wasn't ready to stop! Well, I had no choice. He walked out of the room and I started balling!!!! I couldn't get my breath. The nurses were coming in and asking me if I was ok and I just couldn't comprehend the thought that I was done.

Fast forward one LONG month and I was put in the hospital because of my blood pressure and swelling. That was the longest week of my life!!! The doctor would come in each morning and say, "Let's see if you can make it until tomorrow." After 5 mornings of hearing that I was just trying to pray for patience and enjoy the Today Show :) They did not want me getting up much so I was 'allowed' one outing a day. My mom or Jonathan (whoever was there that day) could stroll me outside in a wheelchair to the gardens to get some fresh air. That was so wonderful! I dreaded the stroll down there because so many people would stop us and say, "Oh honey, you are about to pop" or "Look at your ankles!" I finally started covering my lower body with a sheet!!!

I remember another funny moment when one night all I wanted was a pizza! Jonathan went out to get one and the nurse came in and told me that was the worst thing I could eat right now and went on to give me a 5 minute speech about why it was so bad. I remember Jonathan coming into the room with the pizza and I was balling. I told him what the nurse said and he said if you want it, eat it. So I would hide and eat one bite at a time and put the piece back in the box in case she walked in! I look back now and just laugh at that!

Finally after a week in the hospital a doctor walked in on Thursday, April 30th and said the sweetest words I had ever heard..."Let's do it. Today is the day!" I couldn't pick up the phone fast enough to tell Jonathan to get off work and let's meet our babies! What an amazing feeling! I kept saying the date over and over in my head...April 30th, 3009...what a perfect day to have twins!

Here are some pictures from the days before the babies.

Now that is a BIG belly!!!

I see so many funny things in this picture. No shoes would fit my feet so my mom went to K-Mart and bought the biggest pair of men's flip flops she could find. We had to velcro them a the very end! I was also in an X-large maternity shirt!!

It looks like I am waring boots! This was still 5 days before I had them...so they got even bigger! The nurses were bringing in other nurses just to look at them! My toes look like they are about to pop! I couldn't bend my toes and in the last few days I couldn't really bend my knees so I had to get help getting dressed!!

That picture just makes me hurt! There was so much fluid! It looks like an elephants leg!!

It was ALL worth it! Every ache and pain, every tear and emotional breakdown.

Tomorrow, April 30th, Luke and Madison will turn ONE!

1 comment:

  1. Reading that post and seeing those pictures brought back so many memories (good and bad):) of my pregnancy with the girls. Happy (belated) birthday to your adorable children! I cannot believe they are already one... we are not far behind you. :( Can't wait to see pics from their big day!

    ReplyDelete